Search form

Total: £0.00
Item Cost
Your shopping cart is empty.

Search form

Home > Services & Support > Information Resources > Benefits Support Information

Benefits Support Information

There are many different types of financial support that you be may be eligible for. Many of these involve completing an application. Below are a list of some of the benefits that you may be eligible for, links to explore these further as well as links to organisations who can help to support you with the application process.

You can find full details of all the benefits available in Scotland here.


Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is for children under 16, and may help families with the extra costs of looking after a child who:

  • is under 16
  • has difficulties walking or needs much more looking after than a child of the same age who does not have a disability

They will need to meet all the eligibility requirements.

The DLA rate is between £23.60 and £151.40 a week and depends on the level of help the child needs.

This benefit is overseen by the Department of Work and Pensions.


Personal Independence Payment (PIP)     

“Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is extra money to help you with everyday life if you've an illness, disability or mental health condition. You can get it on top of Employment and Support Allowance or other benefits. Your income, savings, and whether you're working or not don't affect your eligibility.” (Citizens Advice Scotland)

You may be eligible for Personal Independence Payment, if you are over 16. This benefit is overseen by the Department of Work and Pensions.


Carers Allowance

Carer's Allowance is the main benefit for carers. You might be entitled to this payment if your child if they get the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment. 

It is not means-tested, so it does not matter what savings you have, and most forms of income are ignored (for example any occupational or personal pension you receive). However, if you work you can only get Carer's Allowance if your earnings after deductions are no more than £128 per week.


Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

You can apply for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if you have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work. You can apply for ESA if you’re employed, self-employed or unemployed.

ESA gives you:

  • money to help with living costs if you’re unable to work
  • support to get back into work if you’re able to


You can print off the form or make contact via phone to request the paperwork. Also the helpline can also provide you with guidance: 0800 121 4600. This is the same number you would call to request the form.

This benefit is overseen by the Department of Work and Pensions


Disability Grants

This is an online directory of grants for disabled children and their parents/carers. You can refine grants by locality or by specific area.

YouthLink Scotland, on their website they have a full directory, again you can refine the grants by specific area, for example education:

There is also a more general search engine called Turn2us. Here you can identify any other trusts/grants that you can access at this time. The search engine will ask particular questions pertaining to your particular situation:


Some organisations that can support you with the application process

Your local citizen advice bureau -, they have information online, but they can also provide support over the phone (unfortunately they are unable to offer face to face appointments at this time)

Your local council may have a welfare rights team and details of this will be on their website.

Contact a Family also provide details of benefits available.